Thursday, February 16, 2012

Welcome back to the gym...

There is a gym in town I've had my eye on since moving to Mac in 2010. It's a women only gym, and it offers many different classes, tanning, personal training and of course cardio machines, weights etc. The best part? They also offer child care! The not so best part? It was a lot more than I had ever paid for a gym membership. $60 joining fee, then depending on which you chose, around $50 a month. Childcare is $1.50 per visit.
I'm cheap when it comes to gyms, (and other things), so I just couldn't make myself pay a $60 joining fee. I felt $50 a month was a lot but it did give me access to any/all the classes I wanted.
I decided for $0 a month I could run outside and do sit ups, push ups etc in my living room.
That's what I've been doing until this week...
The gym was having a Valentine's Special!! Nothing says Happy Valentine's Day like a gym membership! Some girls want candy, jewelry, flowers and so on from their man, not me, I want the gym membership! And that's just what I got!! (although he also got me cupcakes, Starbucks cup AND some beautiful flowers). Anyway I was finally headed back to the gym!!
This week I've tried the Core and More class followed by Zumba. Loved it! Then I tried cycling, so hard!! I only got half way through the class though because Mason wouldn't stop crying in the daycare. Turns out he'd rather we were still running outside and doing sit ups and push ups in the living room, where he body slams me and crawls all over me while I'm actually trying to workout.
Anyway, by the 3rd visit Mason was crying in the truck as soon as we pulled into the parking lot! I'd say, " yeah let's go play with some friends!!" he'd reply, " nooo nooo bye!" followed by more crying. I couldn't believe it! He had kids his age to play with, along with tons of toys, balls, movies if he wanted and even crafts and snacks! Heck, maybe I'll just go to the daycare...
Getting worried he would never like daycare and I would never get through an entire workout, I pulled out the big guns. I took a binky, "B" as he calls it, from his bed and put it in my pocket before we left. Mason LOVES his Bs so much, and only gets them in bed, so although I was possibly creating a terrible habit and setting up for bigger problems later, I decided to take it with me.
As usual he cried when he saw where we were, he cried at the front desk, and all the way up the stairs to daycare. He was pretty upset by the time I was signing him in and trying to talk to the teacher, who by the way, looked super NOT excited to see the boy who never stops crying. Then I pulled out "B" gave it to the teacher and told her to just give it to him, show him where the balls are, and if he's still crying in 15 minutes I'd be down in the gym. With that I handed him over, sobbing and all red saying "no no", and headed out the door.
2 minutes later I heard the daycare call the front desk. I couldn't believe they were already paging me to come back and get him!! But I was pleasantly surprised! He had already calmed down and was playing! They just wanted me to know he was doing great and to enjoy my workout!
I felt like I conquered the world! Well maybe not, but I was so happy I was going to be able to keep coming to the gym!
I think I'll take "B" for a few more visits, until he's more comfortable and then hopefully it won't be a problem when "B" stays home in bed.
Here's hoping anyway....

1 comment:

  1. Aw! Mase loves B! Glad you got to get a workout in! And how cool they had a special for V day! Great gift! You are making me want to get back at the gym! Good motivation! Yay!

    ReplyDelete